Monday, February 28, 2011

Corn Container Maze!


YOU CAN GROW CORN IN A CONTAINER!

How crazy is that?

And if your balcony or patio is large enough, and if you have several long, rectangular containers placed in a well thought out design, then you could create your own corn maze!

That would be so awesome!  (I'm talking to you, Jen!)


This is the final installment of our "Garden of Jen" container gardening series.  For those of you who don't know, Jen is a nice midwestern girl now living in Oregon.  I can only assume that her summers are spent despondently perusing independent book stores, drinking locally brewed organic beer, and wandering the beach in despair.  Not an acre of sweet corn in sight.  Tragic! 

I'll save you, Jen!  Save you with some delightful Blue Jade Sweet Corn!

These miniature plants (up to three feet) bear 3-6 ears with sweet steal-blue kernels.

If you're not so sure about the blue, you might also try Tom Thumb Popcorn, which is yellow, ornamental, and good for coastal and short season areas.  Dwarf 3 1/2 foot plants produce one to two ears that measure about 4" long.

Here's my note of caution regarding corn of any size or type:  Animals love this stuff.  Birds, squirrels, mice, you name it.  I've really been wanting to grow popcorn in my garden, but don't have room to grow enough for ALL of us.  The pests will eat it before you get a chance, so grow a few stalks for fun or dozens of stalks for food, but don't think you'll be able to grow just a few stalks and have any kind of harvest. 

Not that I'm trying to discourage you!  I suppose a balcony cat or realistic scarecrow could make all the difference! 

I hope I've managed to make a convincing argument for container vegetable gardening!  There is so much that you can grow in, really, any space at all.  A corn maze would be magical, of course, but a potted herb on the window ledge is a perfectly respectable start!


Check back for details on when and how to start your seedlings indoors...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I wonder how much admission I can charge for my mini balcony corn maze?

    ReplyDelete