Friday, January 28, 2011

Saved Seed Inventory

I think I'm ready to place my order with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, but first I had to look through my bag o' saved seeds from last year to make sure that my mental inventory list hadn't failed me.

In addition to various unlabeled peach pits, apple seeds, and onion bulbs, I discovered a good supply of


St. Valerie Carrot seeds.  These didn't do well at all in my garden, but I planted them in my mom's garden as well, and she had quite a harvest!  One of my plants went to seed, and I'm hoping they're viable, because these carrots were so good!  Crisp and sweet, good keepers, hopefully they'll do well for me this year, but I'll be sure to plant some more at my mom's, just in case.

I also found some pepper seeds saved from the GIANT sweet red peppers that I bought at the Farmer's Market.  I have no idea what variety they are, but I'm hoping to grow some of my own.  Plus I saved a bunch of


Buran Pepper seeds.  These never did turn very red in my garden - Not enough sun for them I suspect.  But they were pretty good even small and green, so I'm hoping for better luck this year.

For some reason I also decided to save 3-6 seeds from about five thousand other veggie varieties.  Maybe I should create a Memories Of Past Years Gardens garden?   I could throw all the seeds haphazardly in one small area and see what comes up...

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! Or just throw them by a stop sign in the neighborhood, like in Tucson (lol!) when we would throw down wild flower seeds to beautify the street corners.

    ReplyDelete